Moving Home Checklist
As you get closer to owning a new home, there will be a number of things that you will need to do. To ease the headache of moving, we've put together this comprehensive checklist of things to do.
4 Weeks before you move: Packing
- Order boxes, labels and packing material
- Clear out unwanted items
- Shed / Garage
- Spare rooms
- Storage Cupboards
3-2 Weeks before you move: Notify Utilities
- Council tax
- Sky / Cable TV Hire Company
- TV Licensing
- Car Breakdown Cover
- Car Insurance
- Building Society
- Credit / Store Cards
- Inland revenue
- Pension Provider
- Passport Office
- Private Healthcare
- Health Club / Gym
- Newspaper / Magazine Subscriptions
- Post Office Re-direction
- Friends & Family
- Gas Cooker Disconnection
1 Week before you move
- Contact occupants of new property to find out about transfer of utilities
- Confirm arrangements with utilities (Electric, Gas and Water), just to check they are doing what you have asked them for both your current and future property
- Make arrangements for childcare or pets Empty and defrost the freezer
- Cancel newspapers and milk
3-2 days before you move
- Ensure keys are available for new house and get the alarm details if required.
- Change the locks at the new property as you never know who might still have keys to your new home.
- Pack valuables and important documents in a safe place.
- Pack a separate bag containing equipment such as:
- Toilet rolls
- Cleaning materials
- Toothbrushes & Paste
- Rubbish bags
- Other basic tools (hammer, pliers, duct tape etc)
- Enough cash to cover unforeseen expenses
- Mobile phone charger
- Kettle, tea/coffee, sugar and milk
Label all keys for existing property and put aside user manuals for appliances that are remaining (inc heating) if at all possible.
Take details of meter readings, take note of last telephone call made (time & number) and ensure all windows and doors are locked.